The first step to access government-funded aged care services is to get assessed. You can apply for an assessment online or you can call on 1300 883 830. 

The online application is quick and easy but if you would prefer, our friendly and knowledgeable contact centre staff will talk with you about your needs and circumstances and make the application for you. Please visit our Contact us page to find out how. 

All our staff are trained to talk to people in a range of situations and are ready to answer your questions to help find the best options for you. 

New to My Aged Care? You need to get assessed. Here's how:

Check your eligibility and apply
The first step to access government-funded aged care services is to check your eligibility for an assessment. You can call our friendly and knowledgeable contact centre staff to talk about your needs on 1300 883 830. Or you can apply online.

Please note: If you have previously registered with My Aged Care, you cannot use the online form and will need to call My Aged Care.

What do I need to apply?

You just need your Medicare card. The application takes at least 10 minutes, so make sure you have a little time to spare.

What will you ask me?

The first step is an eligibility check. Our priority is getting you the help you need. To do this, we’ll ask about:

  • your health
  • how you’re managing at home
  • any support you’re currently receiving.

Your answers will help us understand your needs and whether you are eligible for an assessment.

If you are eligible, we will ask you for a few details to complete your application.

My Aged Care will keep a record of your application, so you won’t have to provide the same information again at your assessment.

Who can support me?

A family member, friend, or carer can support you to apply online or over the phone. With your permission, they can also complete the application or talk on your behalf.

If you want someone to speak and act on your behalf on an ongoing basis, you can appoint them as your representative with My Aged Care. This will allow My Aged Care to talk to them about your aged care. If you want, this can be set up at the same time as you apply for an assessment.

Read our My Aged Care representatives page for more information.

Advocacy services 

You can also get help from an advocate through the Older Persons Advocacy Network (OPAN). With your consent, an advocate can also speak to My Aged Care on your behalf. 

Read our Advocacy page for more information.

Communication services

The National Relay Service is available if you have a hearing or speech impairment.

The Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) is available if you need help or want to communicate in a language other than English.

Read our Accessible for all page for more information